长安新城

标题: 2011,LET'S CHAT IN ENGLISH ~ [打印本页]

作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-20 21:59
标题: 2011,LET'S CHAT IN ENGLISH ~
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2011-1-4 21:56 编辑

What   did   you   do   today?

(use  your own  words  to  describe  your  life of  everyday, just a sentence or several sentences.)

pls,
bet  champion  on   page18;USEFUL  WORDS  AT   FLOOR 169
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-20 22:10
标题: WST: the wall street english; SC: social class.
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-20 22:14 编辑

I  went  to  WST to  finish  my  SC  at  4:00 pm. The teacher  of  this  class was Sanjay. He came from  England. He looked a bit  lazy. So I  thought   that he  was   like  an American  ever.  His class was  free  and  relaxed. The class  was quickly over  in  an  hour.
作者: 家有小淘气    时间: 2010-3-20 22:39
“I  helped   mother do houseworks a moment ago ”my   son   said。
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-20 22:46
Your son is a good boy. He knows  to  take care of  his  mom.
作者: 家有小淘气    时间: 2010-3-20 22:59
Your son is a good boy. He knows  to  take care of  his  mom.
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-3-20 22:46

yes,he  is。Although   he's very naughty.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-20 23:27
I  think that Boys  are   naughty   is  not  a  question.
Education is  very  important. Boys wil  be  genty and  gentlemanlike.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-21 07:52
Today, I  woke  up  at  6:06am.   Then,  I  used  my  cell  to  see  news  on internet.
作者: 含梦    时间: 2010-3-21 09:34
what?
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-21 11:59
Why  did  you ask  "what"?
作者: tiger    时间: 2010-3-21 14:43
Oh my god,6:06am?!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-21 23:25
good  night, everybody.
作者: 含梦    时间: 2010-3-21 23:34
Why  did  you ask  "what"?
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-3-21 11:59

6:00 got up? Do not you trapped Mody?
作者: 玉玉妮妮    时间: 2010-3-22 09:32
hi, morning
regarding learning Engllish, I'd like suggest that you read English news every day via English website such as CNN, abc News etc.
it is a good way for you to speed up and further more, you could learn "how to say" --pure English
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-22 10:05
morning    Thank  for your suggestion    . But  i  can not use  any  internet  on   computer  . so  i  want  to  have  other  method.
作者: 含梦    时间: 2010-3-22 11:33
My advice is to watch more foreign films.
作者: 玉玉妮妮    时间: 2010-3-22 16:20
Demise of Coral, Salamander Show Impact of Web
Conservationists at UN wildlife meeting say Internet fueling trade in endangered species
By MICHAEL CASEY
The Associated Press
DOHA, Qatar

The Internet has emerged as one of the greatest threats to rare species, fueling the illegal wildlife trade and making it easier to buy everything from live baby lions to wine made from tiger bones, conservationists and law enforcement officers said Sunday.

The Web's impact was made clear at the meeting of the 175-nation Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, or CITES. Delegates voted overwhelmingly Sunday to ban the trade of the Kaiser's spotted newt, which the World Wildlife Fund says has been devastated by the Internet trade.

A proposal from the United States and Sweden to regulate the trade in red and pink coral — which is crafted into expensive jewelry and sold extensively on the Web — was defeated. Delegates voted the idea down mostly over concerns the increased regulations might impact poor fishing communities.

Trade on the Web poses "one of the biggest challenges facing CITES," said Paul Todd, a campaign manager for the International Fund for Animal Welfare.

"The Internet is becoming the dominant factor overall in the global trade in protected species," he said. "There will come a time when country to country trade of large shipments between big buyers and big sellers in different countries is a thing of the past."

The IFAW has done several surveys of illegal trade on the Web and a three-month survey in 2008 found more than 7,000 species worth $3.8 million sold on auction sites, classified ads and chat rooms, mostly in the United States but also Europe, China, Russia and Australia. Most of what is traded is illegal African ivory but the group has also found exotic birds along with rare products such as tiger-bone wine and pelts from protected species like polar bears and leopards.

A separate 2009 survey by the group Campaign Against the Cruelty to Animals targeted the Internet trade in Ecuador, finding offers to sell live capuchin monkeys, lion cubs and ocelots.

"As the Internet knows no borders, it causes several new problems regarding the enforcement of the protection of endangered species," the group said in its report.

John Sellar, CITES' chief law enforcement officer, argued the impact of the Web was overblown and that many species that appear illegal may in fact may be legal. He also said many big traders were reluctant to use the Internet, since payments can be traced and they can be ensnared in undercover operations.

"There seems to be little evidence that there are commercial operations using the Internet," Sellar said. "Although the risks may be small depending on which country you are living in, you can be identified when using the Internet. So there are clearly risks there."

Still, a CITES committee endorsed an e-commerce proposal Sunday that calls on governments to draft measures to address the Internet trade and law enforcement agencies to dedicate a unit to focus on it.

The private sector has also moved to limit the illegal trade.

EBay, which was singled out in the IFAW survey as being a main source of much of the ivory sales, said in a statement that it instituted a complete ban on the ivory trade in 2008, which activists said has helped slow the trade in tusks on the Web.

The newt is a textbook example of what can happen to one species through trade on the Web. According to a study by the WWF, the black and brown salamander with white spots is coveted in the pet trade. They number only around 1,000 and live in Iran's Zagros Mountains. About 200 have been traded annually over the years, mostly through a Web site operated out of Ukraine. Their population has fallen 80 percent.

"The Internet itself isn't the threat, but it's another way to market the product," said Ernie Cooper, who spearhead the investigation into the newt for TRAFFIC Canada. "Most people are not willing to pay $300 for a salamander. But through the power of the Internet, tapping into the global market, you can find buyers."

The red and pink coral, which consist of 32 species, are harvested in deep Mediterranean waters and turned into expensive jewelry either in Italy or cheaper place like Taiwan and China, according to the marine conservation group SeaWeb.

It is the most widely traded and valuable of all precious corals but has no international protection, resulting in a brisk international trade in the species, the group said.

Opposition to the coral proposal was led by Japan, which also successfully spearheaded efforts last week to defeat a proposed ban on the international export of Atlantic bluefin tuna, a key ingredient in sushi. They were joined by several coastal states including Indonesia, Malaysia and Iceland, all of whom argued the corals are crucial to the survival of local communities and are not overharvested.

Meanwhile, delegates approved a voluntary conservation plan for endangered tigers that calls for tougher legislation in countries home to the big cats to tackle widespread smuggling and boost money spent on law enforcement.

The British plan also calls for countries to better control tiger farms and to phase out traditional medicine markets which fuel demand for tiger parts. The proposal includes no funding for the 13 tiger range countries, only a request for donor assistance.

The Tiger population has plummeted because of human encroachment, the loss of nine-tenths of their habitat and poaching to supply the illegal trade. Their numbers have fallen from 100,000 at the beginning of the 20th century to around 3,600 today.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-22 16:39
The  advice of  hammen  is  good .    thanks.   i have  seen  foreign film  and tv  with  its  own language  from  several  years  ago!  but   my   progress  is not  obviously .   by  the  way ,  what  is  mean  'do  not  you  trapped  mody'?
作者: 含梦    时间: 2010-3-22 19:26
17# 喜欢琥珀

More than 6 points, I think that's too early
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-22 20:07
i  am  a  bit   strange  sometimes.    when  it  is a weekend,   i   usually wake  up   earlier   than  other  days. that  is  why  i  get  up  so  early~
作者: 不吃鱼的猫    时间: 2010-3-22 20:56
i have fought with sands today,,,
作者: 艾蔻    时间: 2010-3-22 21:51
it is good posts!
i played Mahjong until one or two in the morning last Sat. it really expended myself!
the whole experience is exhausting (it lasts approximately 4 hours, including lunch).The result was that i spend 4 hours to recover myself in beauty salon (Gua Sha treatment+foot massage+makeup course).

i  played mahjong rarely at ordinary times. i was happy with friends ,but i did  feel unconfortable !
作者: hibernate    时间: 2010-3-23 01:13
Up
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-23 10:38
my  girl  student  has quarrelled  with  a  man  who wants to  pick  a  quarrel  just   now ,    i  prevent  it.    But   i think   the  man  was  a   bad-Temper    man.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-24 10:58
i  slept  late  last  night.   I  woke  up   a  bit  late .  but   i  fortunately  had not   been  late.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-24 12:24
Thank  for  providing  an  article  from  yuyu . but   i have  some  difficult  of  reading  the  article   because  of  some  new   words .
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-24 17:26
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-24 19:26 编辑

Today  is  the  birthday   of   my  Mr. right!         Best  wishes  to   him.
作者: 玉玉妮妮    时间: 2010-3-24 17:36
Thank  for  providing  an  article  from  yuyu . but   i have  some  difficult  of  reading  the  article   because  of  some  new   words .
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-3-24 12:24

it would be better like this:

yuyu, thank you for the news, it is good but something I could not understand smoothly due to the "new words".
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-24 17:48
Yuyu,  you  are  so  kind . let  me  know where  my  expression is  not  right.   thanks  a  lot.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-24 19:31
Today  is  the  birthday   of   my  Mr. right!         Best  wishes  to   him.
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-3-24 17:26

I  went  to   WEIDUOMEI  to  buy  a  small  cake  named   choclate  cheese  cake  after  work.
He  were  still  at  his  office  when  I    called  him.
So   I   decided  to  his  office to  send  this  cake  to  him  in  10 minutes.
When   he  saw me ,  he  was  so  surprised   and   happiness.
作者: 艾蔻    时间: 2010-3-24 19:58
Happy birthday to the Mr Right of Hupo~!
作者: 紫陌    时间: 2010-3-24 20:30
3Q。--------hupo
作者: 不吃鱼的猫    时间: 2010-3-25 01:31
i always want to go to bed early 。。。。。。。。。
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-25 06:38
But  you  had to go  bed  so  late. :hug     i  was  woken  by   radio   90.0    with  music   every  morning
作者: 不吃鱼的猫    时间: 2010-3-26 00:52
i hete morning call~~!!
my dear girl friend wanted to come to me tonight,,but i have finished work after 22:00
作者: hibernate    时间: 2010-3-26 02:26
I should sleep earlier…
作者: 相夫教子    时间: 2010-3-26 08:02
my daughter got up earlier then before this morning ,and she went to nursery school happily.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-26 12:04
She  is  so  cute!    how  old  is    she?
作者: 大胡子    时间: 2010-3-26 12:46
zhen yu men ,wo de ying yu bu hao
作者: 大胡子    时间: 2010-3-26 12:47
Demise of Coral, Salamander Show Impact of Web
Conservationists at UN wildlife meeting say Internet fueling trade in endangered species
By MICHAEL CASEY
The Associated Press
DOHA, Qatar

The Intern ...
玉玉妮妮 发表于 2010-3-22 16:20

ni tai li hai le
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-26 13:59
Big   beard ,   you  are  so    tricky!      it  will not  be  allow  that  you  say  this   words  using   chinese  pingyin!
作者: 玉玉妮妮    时间: 2010-3-26 15:23
Health Care Clears Final Hurdle: House Passes Reconciliation Bill
House Passes the Reconciliation Bill With a 220-207 Vote
By Z. BYRON WOLF, JONATHAN KARL and HUMA KHAN
March 25, 2010—

The House of Representatives cleared the final hurdle in Congress' overhaul of the nation's health care system, passing a health care reconciliation bill by a 220-207 vote.

The amendment bill, which included the fixes made to the Senate version of the health care bill, will now go to President Obama for his signature.

The Senate passed the legislation this afternoon by a 56-43 margin after defeating 41 amendments offered by Republicans.

Three Democrats, including Sens. Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska -- all of whom voted for the original Senate health care legislation -- voted against the reconciliation bill.

Members of the House had to vote again on the health care reconciliation bill because Senate Parliamentarian Alan Frumin ruled late Wednesday against some parts of the reconciliation bill dealing with Federal Pell Grants for low-income students.

Speaking at University of Iowa today, President Obama took several swipes at Republican critics of the health care law.

The president addressed those Republicans who have said they will run on repealing the health care law in the mid-term elections. "My attitude is: Go for it," Obama said.

"Leaders of the Republican Party," Obama said, "they called the passage of this bill 'Armageddon.' Armageddon. 'End of freedom as we know it.' So after I signed the bill, I looked around to see if there were any asteroids falling or some cracks opening up in the earth. It turned out it was a nice day."

Obama spoke about how the changes in the health system will impact insurance companies.

"They've got to start playing by a new set of rules that treats everybody honestly and treats everybody fairly," he said. "The days of the insurance industry running roughshod over the American people are over."

It was Iowa City where in 2007 then-Sen. Obama first spoke about his vision for health care overhaul.

"Three years ago, we made a promise. That promise has been kept," the president told the crowd, filled with students.

House Members Face Threats From Outraged Public
Polls show that the public is divided over the health care law, which the Congressional Budget Office estimated will cost $938 billion over 10 years and extend insurance to 32 million more Americans.

A USA Today-Gallup poll released Tuesday found that 49 percent of Americans said passing the health care bill was a "good thing." Forty-two percent said they were angry or disappointed.

Outside Washington, D.C., people are channeling their anger against the health care law at their state representatives and vandalizing the offices of some of the lawmakers who voted in favor. Several lawmakers have asked for increased security both in Washington and outside their homes in their districts.

At the Democratic headquarters in upstate New York, someone threw a brick through the window with a note that read, "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice," a quote from Barry Goldwater.

Anti-abortion Democrat Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., who struck a deal to vote for the health care bill in exchange for an executive order from Obama, has been the subject of threatening phone calls calling him "Baby killer" and wishing he would die. In one letter he received, there was a drawing of a hanging noose with Stupak's name written on the gallows. At the bottom it read, "All baby killers come to unseemly ends either by the hand of man or by the hand of God."

There have been so many cases of vandalism and angry phone calls that the FBI is now trying to figure out whether angry words will actually translate into violence.

Such actions "have no place in the civil debate in our country," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said today.

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., said he doesn't believe Congress members are in a real danger right now, but he denounced Republicans for fanning the flames.

"It's an effort to kind of hijack that debate by coercive elements," Frank said on "Good Morning America" today, adding that his Republican counterparts over the weekend were "very much egging on this behavior rather than denouncing it."

Frank said Republicans need to offer an apology without any excuses, after not only encouraging protestors on Capitol Hill but also those who were heckling in the House gallery during Sunday's vote.

"I think they should apologize, denounce this without qualifying the denunciation, without explaining it," Frank said. "Why not just get up and say this is wrong ... and let's have the debates on the merits."

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said people shouldn't resort to violent measures.

"There are ways for people to channel their anger and they should do it in a constructive way," Boehner said today.

But he also continued to denounce the health care law, telling reporters that the president, with the stroke of a pen "took away some of our freedoms."

House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., denounced the violence in very strong terms. He also took aim at Democratic groups that are using these recent episodes for political posturing.

"It is reckless to use these incidents as media vehicles for political gains," Cantor said.

"By ratcheting up the rhetoric, some will only help to enflame these situations to dangerous levels," he added. "Enough is enough."

Cantor said he was also threatened directly via email, and that someone shot at his campaign office in Richmond.

The Richmond Police Department said the bullet went through the window at Cantor's office in Richmond Tuesday morning, but did not go beyond the blinds. The building was not occupied at the time.

ABC News' Rachel Martin and Pierre Thomas contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-26 23:00
I  listened  to   peter's  class  in  wall  street   tonight    from  7:00pm   to   9:00pm.
The  class   was  wonderful.
I  got  many  new  methods   to   learn  WSE.
I  gained  a  lot.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-27 07:38
I  had to  wake  up  at  6:45 am  for  seeing  the  Film.      oh  my  lady  gaga!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-27 08:46
I  have  been  here   for  waiting  to  change  the  tickets  at the  cinema  ticket   now !  it  has  many  people behind  me   .
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-27 09:02
I  have  bought  four     tickets ,    the  change plus   rmb20  per  ticket. So  expensive   althought   it  is   3d   Movie.
作者: 艾蔻    时间: 2010-3-27 13:24
Now i am waitting for the neighbors to pick up  handmade cotton Cubu
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-27 13:36
Aikou,  i  will  be  there to meet  you   at  about  3  o'clock
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-27 17:10
Enjoy  our  tea activity  from  8pm    tonight.    welcome!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-28 09:35
We  will  make  tea  activity    at  momo's  house  tonight  from  seven  o'clock   pm,  because  we  had not  been  there   last  night.
作者: 博文妈妈    时间: 2010-3-28 09:55
Oh my god!!!English, I don't like it!
作者: 大胡子    时间: 2010-3-28 15:39
Health Care Clears Final Hurdle: House Passes Reconciliation Bill
House Passes the Reconciliation Bill With a 220-207 Vote
By Z. BYRON WOLF, JONATHAN KARL and HUMA KHAN
March 25, 2010—

The House o ...
玉玉妮妮 发表于 2010-3-26 15:23

tian na ,ni zhen de tai li hai le,ni shi wo de ou xiang.
作者: 君子兰    时间: 2010-3-28 15:50
标题: Go on!!
本帖最后由 君子兰 于 2010-3-28 16:18 编辑

Thank you, Amber! Thank you for providing this treasurable stage for any English-speaking learner! I am thinking we could keep up writing in English and attracting more and more neighbours to foucus in studying English, such as how to use English and how happy we are when speaking or thinking in English.

I hope one day the English Fans of Chang'an New Town could meet together and speak English freely and in a very relaxed way, that's the final success!! How happy we will be!!

If that is the case, I will go on writing in English in your channel as long as I have spare time.

Now I give you all two very useful webs, please see below:
(1)http://www.iselong.com/
(2)http://www.putclub.com/

These two webs could help you all study English for free! You could listen to the foreign news radio stations online.

Cheer up, everyone!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-28 17:31
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-28 19:43 编辑

I am so  glad  to  see  many  neighbors   to care  about   this  topic  .
Althought   I  am   doing  my  lesson  in  two hours  from 16:00 this  afternoon  in  my  learning  center,  I  can not  help  looking  our  web  
作者: 君子兰    时间: 2010-3-28 17:49
Where is the Momo's House? I just heard it first time. It's near the Chang'an New Town? Please tell me the concrete address of the Momo's House. Thank you so much.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-28 18:01
Oh  it  is  just  a  room  of  the  neighbor.   she is  zimo .  sorry    i  finish  my  lesson  just  now!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-28 18:08
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-28 19:38 编辑

You  are  welcome.

I will  return  to  our new  town  in  an  hour  . see   you  soon!
作者: 博文妈妈    时间: 2010-3-28 19:06
tian na ,ni zhen de tai li hai le,ni shi wo de ou xiang.
大胡子 发表于 2010-3-28 15:39

hahaha~~~~ni ye hen li hai a
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-28 19:31
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-28 22:29 编辑

NOT BE   ALLOWED   TO  WRITE  CHINESE   PINYIN!!!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-28 19:37
标题: It is interesting...
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-28 19:59 编辑

I  find   it   shows   me   to  exit   in  our  web   all   day   when   I  use  my  cell   to    get   on   the  internet.
作者: 博文妈妈    时间: 2010-3-28 20:47
NOT BE   ALLOWED   TO  WRITE  CHINESE   PINGYIN!!!
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-3-28 19:31

PINGYIN!!!------------you are wrong.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-28 22:40
I am  not  a  pure   Beijing  person .  So  I  probablely   pronunce  some  mistakes  with   pinyin.
I  have  corrected   it.
Thanks.
作者: 不吃鱼的猫    时间: 2010-3-28 23:03
本帖最后由 不吃鱼的猫 于 2010-3-29 00:09 编辑

today I have given a little information of airport to two guests in hotel with speaking English,and now I feel so hard to speak English
oggi ho dato un po' informazione dell'aeroporto a due clienti in albergo parlando inglese,,e ora mi sento tanto difficile di parlare inglese,,
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-29 05:59
maomao  , the  language  must  be  used   just like  you   always  speak  italian   during  your  work .     take  it   easy~
作者: 含梦    时间: 2010-3-29 06:21
Amber classmates, you got up really early
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-29 07:01
i  must  get  up  early  today   because  i  have  to  the   place  before 7:30  ~  now  i  get  off  the  bus !
作者: 君子兰    时间: 2010-3-29 13:15
This is my news article written in the year of 2001. Please enjoy it.

Foreign Students at Tibet University

(May 2001. Tibet, China. )
(Originally in Chinese)  

I originally made an appointment for an interview with John, a Spanish student at Tibet University, but when I arrived at his dormitory at the agreed time, the only person there was his classmate, Ruben Varela. Since John had urgent business I had to change my plans and make Ruben, who never dreamt he would ever be buttonholed by a reporter, especially in Tibet, the subject of the interview.
          Ruben, 29, is from New York. After graduating from college, he worked for a government aid agency. For him, these were "very comfortable" days. New York City is known in the United States for its large numbers of Chinese inhabitants. As a child, Ruben was scared of these "odd-looking" easterners, and thought that he and they came from two different planets, until he entered middle school, and became close friends with a Chinese boy. "He was often bullied by other schoolboys, and I would always come to his rescue," recalled Ruben. From that time onwards he felt an affinity with China, and in 1998 he flew across the Pacific Ocean to Hong Kong.
        Ruben finds it difficult to explain why he left the U.S. for China so precipitately. "My boss tried to get me to change my mind by promising me a promotion and raise in salary. He told me that China was backward and poor, and that the people there were deprived of personal freedom. My mom wept at the thought of my being so far from home. She had no idea about China at all, and was afraid that I might never return home. But my life now could not be any better," Ruben declared, contentedly. "China is utterly fascinating, especially Tibet. I love Lhasa."
        When in Hong Kong, Ruben started a refrigerator magnet business with his Chinese friend. Also having sculpting skills, Ruben found no difficulty in making a living there. He made trips to many cities on the mainland, including Shanghai, Nanjing, Xi'an, Jinan, and Hangzhou. "Never go to Wuhan in summer, it is sweltering," said Ruben with a grimace, fanning himself with his hand.
        In September 1999 Ruben moved to Beijing, but found that metropolises such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, where people are hell-bent on their relentless pursuit of money, are not to his liking." I saw similarly money-grubbing types in the United States, so I think people in big cities such as these suffer from the same syndrome," was his comment. In October 2000 Ruben arrived in Lhasa, his idea of heaven. He was ecstatic at the sight of the Potala Palace atop the Red Mountain, the Jokhang Temple shrouded in sandalwood smoke, and the bustling Barkor Street. "This is what I want," Ruben concluded.
        Ruben is studying Chinese at Tibet University and greatly admires the Canadian D.J. of CCTV4. "It would be great if I could speak Chinese as well as he does," he said, longingly.
        Our talk was interrupted by John, who rushed in and apologized to me, explaining that he would have to leave again in a moment. John, 27, majored in Physical Education at Columbia, and was in his college football team. When he first came to China, he could speak neither Chinese nor English. The first time he had dinner at a small restaurant here he was completely baffled by the menu, which was printed exclusively in Chinese. The restaurant boss thoughtfully recommended tangcu liji (sweet and sour saute fillet) to him. When the dish was served, his eyes almost popped out, and he wolfed down the whole dish in a few minutes. From then onwards John would, whenever eating out, always order tangculiji in his halting Chinese. In 1997 he entered Tibet University in order to study Chinese, and is now much more fluent, being able to order several popular Chinese dishes himself, including jingjiang rousi (shredded pork with soya paste), tieban niuliu (grilled shredded beef) and tudou shao niurou (beef stewed with potato). At this point in the interview John had to stop and leave. As he hurried out of the door, he ran into his German neighbor Sonja.
        Sonja was flattered when I told her that she looked much younger than her 34 years. This blond, athletic lady is keen on travel and exploration. She has been to 44 countries around the world, including Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Canada, India, and Kuwait. Her knowledge has increased with each country she has visited, but her favorite place is Tibet. "I will live in Tibet the rest of my life, after getting married and having children. Here I can see sacred mountains, holy lakes and the Potala Palace whenever I like," she said, emphatically. As a graduate of the Biological Department of Berlin University, Sonja worked in the field of biology in Germany before leaving for her tour of the world. She did not begin studying Chinese until February this year, so she still understands little Chinese. She needs to spend a substantial amount of time on Chinese study every day, and sometimes studies right through the night. Her Tibetan teacher, Yangjain, is very kind, and always glad to help with any problems Sonja might encounter in her studies. Apart from all this, she has now made several good friends here.
        Although from diverse countries and backgrounds, Ruben, John and Sonja all have a deep affection for Tibet. At present there are 42 foreign students at Tibet University, most of whom regard Tibet as their ideal home, and China as a compelling destination.
        Tibet University began enrolling foreign students in 1993. Most of them major in Chinese, while others study the Tibetan language, and Tibetan fine arts and music. To date, the university has registered 290 foreign students from 26 countries, including the US, the UK, Germany, France, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Australia and Belgium.
        Ruben loves Lhasa, regarding it as the holy land of his heart. As a Christian, Ruben devoutly believes in God, and that He lives in his heart. His biggest hope is to work as a teacher in China's frontier provinces after graduation. He would like to go to the poor and needy regions, where people most need his help. "Because I love your country," Ruben concluded, with a sincere smile.  (End)

(http://www.chinatoday.com.cn/china/Tibet/023.htm)
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-29 14:45
Thank  for  your  new  article.                      i   can  not  read  the  whole  article ,because   i  use  the  phone  to  look  our  web.          i  suggest   some  shortsentences  or  sayings  may  be  provided.      Thanks  a   lot!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-29 15:31
i  received  a phone message from  3w  wheni  was   listening  the  class   of  new  tax   policy ~
作者: hibernate    时间: 2010-3-29 18:06
who or what is 3w?
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-29 20:42
She   is  a  neighbor.  we  phoned   each  other  to  talk  about  learning  english.
作者: 君子兰    时间: 2010-3-29 22:38
This is one of my news works written in 2001,the original version was in Chinese. It was translated in English (see above) 9 years ago. This news article left me with fond memories. Time flies by so fast. Those happy things remind me of terrific time.

Please enjoy this Chinese-version news article:  

西藏大学里的留学生

鲁宾(Ruben Varela)没有想过他这一生能和记者遭遇,特别是在中国西藏的拉萨。

推开西藏大学留学生楼二层218房间半掩着的门,本和记者约好采访时间的约翰(John),此时却换成了一脸惊讶表情的鲁宾。无奈,由于约翰有事暂时消失,记者只好把鲁宾当成了预约采访的对象,尽管鲁宾还有些摸不着头脑。
    记者走进鲁宾和约翰的房间,鲁宾一屁股就坐到了地毯上,仰着头,直白地问:“你想知道些什么?”
    于是,采访开始杂乱而有序地进行了。
    29岁的鲁宾是一个美国人,家住纽约市。他大学毕业后,就在当地专门负责救济穷人的一个政府部门工作,鲁宾形容那时的日子过得“very comfortable(非常舒适)”。纽约是美国著名的华裔聚居区,因此鲁宾很小时,就看到与西方人长像不同的“古怪”的华人。鲁宾说,他最初见到华人时,有恐惧感,“我觉得我们是生活在两个世界里的人”。阴差阳错,鲁宾中学时最好的朋友,就是一名华人。“当时,他总遭到其他人的欺负和围攻,我就经常帮助他。”鲁宾说。以后,鲁宾就一直没有脱离与中国的干系,直到有一天,他真的付诸行动,从大洋比岸的美国跑到了中国的香港。那一年是1998年。
    鲁宾能有勇气到香港,用他的话说是:“我都不知道怎么回事,就到了香港。离开美国前,我的老板甚至用加薪和升职的办法,劝说我留下,并说中国是一个非常落后的国家,又穷又不自由。我妈妈哭了,她说我一走,就走那么远,她不知道中国到底是什么样儿,怕我是有去无回。”“我活得好极了!”鲁宾得意地说,“中国非常美丽迷人,尤其是西藏,我喜欢拉萨这个城市。”
    鲁宾能到香港,也是因为一个华人朋友的极力邀请。刚到香港时,他和他的华人朋友经理一起做冰箱贴的生意。鲁宾还会雕塑,因此赚钱谋生不算难。他跑过中国的好些城市,上海、南京、西安、济南、杭州……“夏天千万不要去武汉,热得很!”鲁宾用手做着煽风的动作,呲牙咧嘴地说。 1999年9月,鲁宾到了北京。他说他不喜欢像北京、上海、广州这样的发达城市,人似乎都在为钱卖命。“我在美国时,总看到那些爱钱如命的人,所以认为中国发达城市里的人也是一样的。”尽管如此,鲁宾还是在北京住了一年的时间。2000年10月,鲁宾来到了他梦想中的天堂——拉萨。看到巍峨耸立在红山之巅的布达拉宫、香烟弥漫的大昭寺、人群熙攘的八廓街……鲁宾兴奋极了。他说,“这就是我想要的。”
    鲁宾在西藏大学学的是中文,他非常羡慕中央4台当主持人的那个加拿大人,“我要是能像他一样把汉语说得那么流利,那我真是太伟大了!”
    说话间,约翰没头脑地闯了进来,一脸歉意地对记者说,他刚才有事,呆会儿还有事,让我原谅他不能接受采访。约翰27岁,是哥伦比亚人,因此英语里夹杂着令人费解的西班牙语。约翰毕业于哥伦比亚麦德林大学体育专业,酷爱足球,是学校足球队的成员。如今,他把足球从哥伦比亚踢到了西藏的拉萨。刚到中国时,约翰既不会说汉语也不会说英语。进饭馆吃饭时,望着看不懂的菜谱不知所措,好心的老板建议他点糖醋里脊。香喷喷的糖醋里脊一上桌,就让约翰眼球放光,他不顾一切地吃了个底儿朝天。此后,约翰只要一进餐馆,就用生硬的汉语点“糖醋里脊”,且屡试不爽。1997年,约翰来到西藏大学学习中文,而今中文水平已经今非昔比,能用流利的汉语点“土豆烧牛肉”、“京酱肉丝”、“铁板牛柳”等“名吃”了。约翰只说到这儿,因有急事不得不离开,匆忙间拉门出去,撞上了邻居——来自德国的索妮亚(Sonja)。
    索妮亚34岁,记者赞她看不出像30多岁的人,她高兴万分,圆睁着一双蓝眼睛,用怀疑的口吻问:“为什么说我年轻?”答曰:“45岁以下都算年轻人。”她再次握紧我的手,表示感谢。
    一头金发的索妮亚喜欢旅游和历险。她去过44个国家:秘鲁、玻利维亚、智利、加拿大、印度、科威特……,她说每到一个国家,都能学到很多东西,但最喜欢的地方还是西藏。“我会永远在西藏住下,成家结婚生子,因为这里可以随时看到神山圣湖、布达拉宫。”索妮亚曾是柏林大学生物系的学生,游历世界前,曾在德国做过一段时间的生物科学工作。今年2月,她来到拉萨,开始学习中文,由于学中文时间尚短,她几乎还听不懂中国话,只会说英语和德语。索妮亚说,为此,她要花很长的时间学习中文,有时甚至要熬通宵。索妮亚的藏族中文老师央金对她非常好,每当她遇到不懂的地方时,央金都非常耐心地帮助她。记者问索妮亚有没有中国朋友,她肯定地点了点头。 鲁宾、约翰、索妮亚,3个人来自不同的国家,但都对中国的西藏有一种认同感。目前藏大有留学生42人,他们中大部分都认为西藏是他们理想中的家园,中国是他们想往的地方。
    西藏大学自1993年开始接收外国留学生,他们在藏大主要学习中文,其次是藏语文、藏族美术和藏族音乐等。截至目前,西藏大学共招收长、短期留学生近290人,分别来自美国、德国、法国、日本、韩国、澳大利亚、比利时、英国等26个国家。
    鲁宾说,他喜欢拉萨是因为他心中一直对拉萨怀有某种神圣感。鲁宾信仰基督教,他认为世界上“有上帝存在,并且上帝就活在他的心中”。鲁宾最大的愿望就是毕业后,到中国的边疆省份去支教,“哪儿地方穷我就去哪儿”。他喜欢到贫穷的地方,去帮助那些需要帮助的人,如中国的青海、宁夏、新疆等地。
    “因为我热爱你们的祖国。”鲁宾最后真诚地说。(完)
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-3-30 06:11
Hey guys! Nice meeting you here!

It is really a nice club for learning English. Thank you, Hupo JJ (don't think Amber is a good translation of your name), for all your efforts.

I am happy to see it works well and people are passionate to join, young or old.

Right now I am in the US. I will 'report' my daily updates for you guys, and of course nice pictures.

Enjoy your day!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-30 07:45
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-30 15:08 编辑

Thank  you  so  much , mm . i  am  so  happy  to  see   your  appear .   it  will  make  progress  our  english  because  of   your  profession   .we   are   looking  forward  for  your  pictures   and  articles~
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-30 11:33
enjoy  to  speak   english~
作者: 一抹蓝云    时间: 2010-3-30 11:53
Thank  you  so  much , mm . i  am  so  happy  to  see   your  disappear .   it  will  make  progress  our  english  because  of   your  profession   .we   are   looking  forward  for  your  pictures   ...
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-3-30 07:45

should be appear,hehe

cheer up,go on !
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-30 12:22
i  got  it~Thanks.
作者: 相夫教子    时间: 2010-3-30 13:21
37# 喜欢琥珀

she is 4 years old .I am satisfied with her behaviour.
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-3-30 13:37
Basically, I came to US for a short vacation.

The city I stay now is called Memphis, the birth place of Elvis Presley. It is in the south part of the United States, the state of Tennesse.

In the downtown area of the city, there are rockn roll museums, music studios, country music clubs and bars. It is full of musical elements everywhere.

However, it is not as prosperous as Beijing. Especially in the suburban areas, you can only see houses and churches along the way. But the green grass and forest cover the whole way which make you feel like in the wild land. There are no big avenues but only 'small' lanes even in the downtown district. The houses are quite unique to others, each which has its own style.

People are nice to each other, and say hi to me on streets even though I don't know them in person. But it may not be a good place for young people. It will drive you lazy and cozy and forget your life goals. Well it is a perfect for old people after their retirement, but if you are restless and ambious, go to big cities.

I will continue tomorrow. Stay tuned.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-30 14:45
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-30 15:08 编辑

Great!
MM‘s  article  isn't  hard  to understand.
It  is  simple and  interesting.
I  like  your  article  very  much. I  can  feel  your   happiness.
Thanks  a  lot.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-30 15:12
37# 喜欢琥珀

she is 4 years old .I am satisfied with her behaviour.
相夫教子 发表于 2010-3-30 13:21

Your  daughter  is  a  good   girl.
I can  feel  you're  proud  of  her.
Have   a   good   day!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-30 19:10
We  have  finished  our  dinner.
We  eated  two  kinds of  dumpling  at  dinner.
It  is  relaxe  for me.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-31 06:44
本帖最后由 喜欢琥珀 于 2010-3-31 18:48 编辑

Do  not   forget   tomorrow  is  the    'fool   day'. ~
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-31 19:03
Today  is  the  last  day of  first  season.
Have   you   concluded  of  your  life   about   the   past  three  months?
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-3-31 19:45
These days I am struggling with the jet lag, sleeping for one day and being awake for another. It is said that keeping busy is the only way to adjust to it, for once you are tired and exhausted, you feel like going to sleep.

I went to the Mississppi River today. It is fantastic, long and wide, with the water running quite fast. Especially in the beginning of the spring, the ice and snow are melting and flowing together to join the main stream, the river runs very fast and looks dangerous. On the side I am standing is the State of Tennesse, whereas on the other, is the State of Arkansas. The Mississppi River is considered as the division of the two states, on which there is a giganic bridge connecting the two borders.
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-3-31 19:52
本帖最后由 莲步青云 于 2010-3-31 19:54 编辑

I walked along the river and got to the downtown area of the city. There are music bars and clubs everywhere. But it is not as crowded as in Beijing.

Today the only thing annoys me is stares. People are staring at me wherever I go. Believe it or not, there was a truck driver turned his head and stared at me while he was passing by. A lot of people just stared at me without avoidance. Though it is considered that America is a big melting pot where people from all over the globe join together. But Memphis is a city in south America which develops slowly. There are rarly Chinese or even Asians coming to this city. I think I could understand how foreigners feel when they are stared by people in Beijing. They may not have something in mind, but the pure curiosity is kinda rude and impolite.

Now I realize that I am a real 'foreigner' here among people, black and white.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-3-31 19:56
The   jet  lag  looks  like  it  must  adjust ,  otherwise  you  may be  feel  uncomtable.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-4-2 06:24
I  like  nocle who  is  the  pure   foreigh  woman  teacher   in  wsi~ she  is  a  hummer  lady.  she  treat  us very kindly  every  time.  i think   she   is   cute  and  amazing,  althought  she  is   a   little  short   who  comes  from  usa!
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-4-2 09:02
I  like  nocle who  is  the  pure   foreigh  woman  teacher   in  wsi~ she  is  a  hummer  lady.  she  treat  us very kindly  every  time.  i think   she   is   cute  and  amazing,  althought  she  is ...
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-4-2 06:24

It is always good to have English native speakers to learn from. In that case you can learn something local
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-4-2 15:51
Mm, how do you  feel  about  the  fool  day  In  the  usa?
作者: 传说中的小新    时间: 2010-4-2 16:01
We plan to set out at 7 o'clock in the night。
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-4-2 21:05
Mm, how do you  feel  about  the  fool  day  In  the  usa?
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-4-2 15:51

It's just a usual day. I didn't feel much about it. People work or chill out as normal.

Haha... I don't know how it went in China. But it seems more 'concerned' by us.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-4-3 07:31
it  is  maybe more  popula  at  the  college. i  think young  people  always like  to  fun  each  other.   we  lived  as  usuall  on  that  day~
作者: 木木    时间: 2010-4-3 07:43
ah,, i missed it
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-4-3 08:50
We plan to set out at 7 o'clock in the night。
传说中的小新 发表于 2010-4-2 16:01

HAVE  A GOOD   TRAVEL~
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-4-3 14:41
I  have  no  plan  because  i  have to  choose  one of plans~
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-4-3 21:38
Today is Easter holiday in US. (Now it is Saturday morning.) We had a "Good Friday" yesterday and today we will have a little gathering together just for young children. People will prepare varieties of gifts for their kids and let them 'find' in the yards. Usually there are a bunch of eggs and bunnies for them because of their religious symbolic meanings. Tomorrow we will go to the church to celebrate Jesus' resurrection.
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-4-3 23:07
IT  SUDDENLY   COULDN'T   CONNET。
I'M SO SORRY。
THANK  FOR   MM'S  PRAISATION(i  cann't   be  sure  this   word is right  or  not).
I  will  insist   on   our   english  corner~
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-4-4 03:22
No Problem. Any time.

I am glad that I can help.

Hupo JJ is really a diligent person. We should all do our best to support this English corner!
作者: 喜欢琥珀    时间: 2010-4-4 06:17
i  learned  the washionton  time was  later  the  time  of  beijing    last  night.     it   is  thirteen  hours  between them.  i have   learned  much  more  english  from  mm  and  other  neighbors.      i  am  so  glad  that   more  and  more  people  like to talk  english  and  join    us.
作者: 莲步青云    时间: 2010-4-4 10:11
i  learned  the washionton  time was  later  the  time  of  beijing    last  night.     it   is  thirteen  hours  between them.  i have   learned  much  more  english  from  mm  and  other  neighbors. ...
喜欢琥珀 发表于 2010-4-4 06:17

There is one point that needs to make clear: American time is not 'Washington time' like we have in China, where Beijing time is the time of the whole country.

In America, there are 6 time zones and 6 different time: Hawaii Time; Alaska Time; Pacific Time; Mountain Time; Central Time; Eastern Time.

The place I stay now is 13 hours later than Beijing time, but Washington DC is in Eastern Time zone which is one hour earlier than where I stay. So Washington time is 12 hours later than Beijing time.

It is a bit confusing. At first I was surprised to know America has 6 different time within one country. But it's good to know about it!

欢迎光临 长安新城 (http://www.caxcnet.com/) Powered by Discuz! X2.5